Thursday, June 30, 2011

Cedar Waxwings

I don't see cedar waxwings too often, and when I do, they don't let me get too close. So it was a nice surprise when I went to the Sechelt marsh the other day and came upon a fair number of these beautiful birds. Most of them were snacking on the twin berry bushes that line the marsh path. The challenge was to photograph the birds when they weren't totally enveloped by shadow...not easy to do. Here's a waxwing that almost came out into the full sun after snacking on some berries.


I got the closest I've ever been to a cedar waxwing...the one pictured below seemed completely unconcerned that I was standing so close...I suspect he was a young one.


And then there was this pair...they sat in the tree, occasionally grooming and completely ignoring the small crowd of spectators who watched in admiration from below.


All in all it was a very successful day of Cedar Waxwing watching!

No comments: